Date Of Birth: 24 March 1949
Ruud Krol is regarded as the Dutch’s greatest ever defender. Ruud Krol finished third in the 1979 Ballon d’Or. He won three consecutive European Cups.
Ruud Krol could play across the backline and was also supremely confident taking the ball out of defense, putting the Oranje back on the offensive. Krol was the defensive rock behind the Ajax and Netherland side that won three consecutive European Cups and reached back-to-back World Cup finals.
Ruud Krol mainly played in the position of Sweeper / Left-back. Due to his range of passing with both feet, temperament, tactical intelligence, and ability to start attacking plays after winning back the ball, he played anywhere across the back.
It will be not wrong to say that, he was an all-around defender. Krol obtained the highest point average seasonal rating in Serie-A. He get the award of best foreign player in Serie-A, in 1982.
Ruud Krol Personal Information
- Nation: Netherland
- Height: 184 cm
- Position: Left-Back / Sweeper
- Career Duration: 1968-1986
- Career Goals: 32
- Major Club: Ajax, Napoli
- International Caps: 83
- International Goal: 4
- World Cup Participation: 1974, 1978 – 14 games
Club & Country Honours
- 6 Times Dutch Champions
- 4 Times Dutch Cup winner
- 3 Times European Cup winner – 1971, 1972, 1973
- 1972 Intercontinental Cup
- 2 Times FIFA World Cup Runner-Up – 1974,1978
- 1976 UEFA Euro Team Of Tournament
- 2 Times FIFA World Cup All-Star Team – 1974, 1978
- 1979 Ballon d’Or 3rd place
- 1979 Fifa XI
- 1981 Guerin Italian Series A Footballer Of The Year
- 2 Times European Defender of The Year – 1978, 1979